Network security is a very important thing especially when running a small business. Though network security is a very complicated topic, it is advisable for businessmen to be aware of how they could improve this area in their business. There are various types of threats lurking about and most businessmen do not know about this. If you own a small business, here are some security recommendations for you:
• Use an up-to-date operating system – There are those businessmen who believe they could work with what they have been used to. This principle is usually applied with operating systems. However, in this world, principles like that are not applicable anymore. You have to use up-to-date operating systems in order to get the best of modern technology.
• Minimize the number of administrator accounts – The administrator account is the first account created in a computer. It has very important rights known as administrator rights that only an administrator or other administrators could have. Having a few administrator accounts reduces the risk of security breach and other problems.
• Update your programs – Update your programs especially when they request to be updated. Allow your programs to check the Internet for recent updates and fixes. This is so that you will be able to enjoy the best of them. Yes, it takes some time to update programs. But you really have to be patient because updated will benefit you and your network.
• Never settle with weak passwords – Weak passwords are among the most common causes of network security breach. Passwords protect prevent unauthorized individuals from accessing your files. Thus, you really need to have strong passwords. Try to use a combination of capital letters, lower case letters, numbers, and even random characters.
• Consult IT experts – In order to make sure that you get the best protection for your network, you might want to consider consulting IT experts. There are a lot of professionals out there who could analyze your business and make some essential recommendations. You would want to know the advices and solutions coming from IT experts.
• Protect your data from spyware – Spyware is a program that is designed to monitor a user’s interaction with the computer. Thus, it could determine passwords, web activity, and even have access to very important files. You could protect your network from spyware by installing a good and reliable anti-virus program.
• Get updated with the recent anti-spam techniques – Spammers always come up with new techniques in order to get past through spam filters. Thus, you have to be aware of such techniques. Update your knowledge about spam by continuously reading about the latest developments on spamming.
• Create security policies – Every small business needs to create policies and regulations regarding Internet use. You have to make security policies and enforce them. Some policies would be the prohibition of visiting social networking sites, instant messaging sites, and other websites that are not related to your work. The number and quality of security policies define the level security of your network.